Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Oh Happy Day!

So it is still my birthday. The other posts were done right after midnight after I got home from work. Its funny how I get SO tired after working but when I get home I am all wound up! Usually eating winds me down but I am trying to not eat so late so now I am going to use blogging as my wind down. I did not sleep well last night and sleeping in was not in the cards! I kept being woken up by Birthday texts and calls! It's my fault for leaving my phone on, no hard feelings for the texts before 8 am!! Thanks from all the birthday wishes. My friend Adrianne is a 1st grade teacher and she had her class sing to me, it was cute!!! So this will be a quick post, its sooo nice out! YEAH SPRING! I am going to get all gussied up and buy myself a new outfit for my birthday.

I get to go to Tepanyaki with Paul tonight for my birthday so I have to look HOT! For those of you that don't know what it is, its a Japanese steakhouse that cooks your food right in front of you(like Bennihanas). Its good food and a show in 1! The chef's like to throw shrimp at you and make onion volcanos. It can be a bit pricy so it's a once in awhile place to go. I like to eat out but me and Paul are pretty frugal and like to go to restaurants that have good food but tend to be lower cost, our favorite being Texas Road house(http://www.texasroadhouse.com/). Their ribs are some of the best, and for 11.95 for ribs, salad and mashed potatoes, its a steal!

Well for my recipe today I am giving my FAV cake recipe. Growing up my mom would make us our favorite cake and meal for our birthdays. Mine was always clam chowder(amazing recipe I am sure I will share eventually) and JELLO cake. If you decide to read my blog frequently you will see I am not much into cakes and sweets, I would much rather have a heaping bowl of homemade soup over any chocolate or sweets ANYDAY! I know, I am weird! Well this is one cake that I LOVE and its simple, not too sweet and everyone loves it!

JELLO cake

Yellow or white cake mix
Box of Jello ( you can use whatever flavor you like, i prefer orange or strawberry)
(I like a lot of jello so I use the bigger box))
Package vanilla instant pudding
Container cool whip (my mom uses packages dreamwhip you have to mix, its good but cool whip is easier!)

Prepare cake as indicated on the box. Once cake is done, prepare jello with 1 3/4 cup hot water and 1 3/4 cup cold water(for the bigger box). This helps the jello set better in the cake! Next poke holes with back end of a wooden spoon all over the surface of the cake. Pour jello evenly over the cake so every hole gets soaked. Set cake in fridge for 2-3 hours(covered). Once Jello is set mix the pudding as indicated on box, let set in fridge for 10 min. Next mix pudding and coolwhip together in a bowl and spread on top of the cake. TA DA, its done! Make sure any leftovers get refrigerated!

No comments: